[Dixielandjazz] Working In The Trenches

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 22 16:56:13 PST 2005

trenches", here is jazz pianist Jessica Williams view of what that is. Note
that while I agree with her concept, my sidemen make more money per gig.
They are just a bit below the "excellent" pay she mentions.

BTW, Jessica Williams is an excellent female jazz pianist who works concert
venues such as Kennedy Center, Carnegie Hall etc., and writes a Blog called
THE ZONE "Dedicated to John Coltrane, Elvin Jones, Mary Lou Williams, Dexter
Gordon, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Philly Joe Jones, Tony Williams, and
all who have devoted their lives to American Improvised Jazz Music."

Cheers,
Steve

"The truth is that most musicians who work in nightclubs and bars average
considerably less than $100 a night for a full 5 hours of music (from 9pm to
2am). The bartender, waiters, and waitresses make more, much more. My
gardener makes three times that much (and deserves it). This wage has
changed not at all in 25 years. Some musicians make $50 a night, and most
make $75. Those musicians lucky enough to land a steady hotel job in a rich
area (such as Monterey, CA) may make $200 per night. That's unusual, and
considered excellent pay."

"And it hurts me too. Don't get the idea that I'm casting any aspersions
here. I admire the musicians who work for little or no compensation 'in the
trenches'. At least they're making music and turning a few people on to
jazz. I can't cut the wages, the environment, and the attitudes. I get sick
and depressed in that 'scene'. That's my problem. But I do admire those
musicians."