[Dixielandjazz] Wild Bill With Strings

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Tue Nov 22 16:53:18 PST 2005

Do you think that the reason that Wild Bill with strings didn't catch on was
because there was too much jazz for the average-popular-music bear, rock and
roll was coming on the scene in a big way, and those who liked the Wild one
were expecting something much more exciting along the lines of the Condon
bunch?

Those who had been listening to early Davison, especially to his Commodore
label work, knew that there were few who could match his heartfelt lyricism.
For me, part of his charm is the rough edge to his tone.

As I write I'm listening to "Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams", "I'm
Confessin'", and "Ghost of a Chance". "Ghost of a Chance" also gave solo
space to Pee Wee Russell's clarinet and Lou McGarity's trombone.  I like
pianist Dick Cary's whole tones during Bill's solo towards the end of the
tune.

Stan
Stan Brager