[Dixielandjazz] Uniforms - Public Perception

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Nov 22 16:41:53 PST 2005

Well thought out Steve as usual but you didn't answer the $24K question
and that's what is cool. You seem to know what isn't.  So let me pick
this apart a bit.  Got some web sites to visit?

Steve barbone wrote:
> Uniforms:
>
> They've always been with us, always will. Bill Gunter said it several years
> ago, something like; Even if you don't have the same uniform in a band, that
> in itself is a sort of uniform. Yes indeed, it is a "look". And that "look"

OK what is it?
> should relate to your audience as others have opined. If you are playing

That seems to be jeans and a T.  Frankly we (I) would look like hell in
that.  Is it the bands job to try to look like the crowd?
> nostalgia for older audiences at retirement homes etc., you might do well to
> adopt a retro uniform.
We do a lot of that kind of playing.
>  Though we do not, making sure to inform them that we
> are geared to today's audience not yesterday's and our old audiences are hip
> enough to understand that.
You actually have to explain to older audiences that you are hip!

 Well that's OK to say but again what's Hip.  I would love to see Tom's
group and from his web page he is "hip" but if I copied him we would be
a bunch of old white guys trying to look black. Not a pretty picture and
it wouldn't float.
> Simple as, what works, works. And BTW, the
> original thread was not really about uniforms, but about the public
> perception of Dixieland. (in the USA)
>
> Public Perception:
>
> general public perceives "Dixieland" as older, white musicians, dressed in
> old time outfits, playing yesterday's corny music.
Guilty although I don't think it's corny.  I took in the Preservation
hall band in New Orleans several years ago and it wasn't corny at all
just badly performed by guys that were way over the hill.  Not that I
have any objection to that actually but not in a venue that's supposed
to be a showcase .  The group that day sounded like a  green sheet job
to benefit retirees.  There is one band around here that is really bad
also but they seem to work a lot.
>  They do not see its
> relevance as jazz, some have never heard it. And the music critics avoid
> reviewing it because they perceive it as passe.
I used to think that way too
> That is the baggage
> "Dixieland" carries. If we intend to get more attention by the public, to
> Dixieland, then we must change that perception.

Trad is generally ignored here although in all fairness so is a lot of
other jazz too.  It would be hard to characterize St. Louis as being
anything.  Typically we don't have many headliners hit here.  As you
point out  good reviews don't come very often.  We do have some
fantastic players working some of the venues.
> They
> dressed in uniforms of their present times, not the past.

We are back to T shirts and Jeans.  Just wearing a tie is no longer the
norm and as someone suggested that bands of the past dressed elegantly
in white tuxes and tails.  Yes that's a fact as many photos suggest.  I
suggest that those bands had to dress that way just as society bands
dress in tuxes today.  I put on my tux every Saturday night.  There is
another angle and that was that they wanted to be accepted as more than
street musicians and they did it through often elegant clothing.
> On the other hand if you are in venues that like that old timey stuff, get
> as corny as they want, complete with straw hats, vests, arm garters etc.
I would think that a club would be the wrong place to wear the vests
etc. However on the street and a lot of other informal kind of gigs I
think it is appropriate and a whole lot more comfortable than some other
outfits might be.

I don't think the music is corney however it is dated but I guess that
assumes that the performance is somehow less than standard and I dislike
doing anything that is less than standard.
> But
> don't be surprised if the mass audience and the guys in the trenches laugh
> at you.

Go for it but I have found that a lot of musicians like to do that
anyway to anyone they perceive as lesser musicians or not as cool than
themselves or not "in".  It doesn't say a lot for us.