[Dixielandjazz] Uniforms - Public Perception

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 22 14:58:23 PST 2005

I guess there was more interest in these threads than we first thought. Here
by way of wrap up are my opinions:

Uniforms:

They've always been with us, always will. Bill Gunter said it several years
ago, something like; Even if you don't have the same uniform in a band, that
in itself is a sort of uniform. Yes indeed, it is a "look". And that "look"
should relate to your audience as others have opined. If you are playing
nostalgia for older audiences at retirement homes etc., you might do well to
adopt a retro uniform. Though we do not, making sure to inform them that we
are geared to today's audience not yesterday's and our old audiences are hip
enough to understand that. Simple as, what works, works. And BTW, the
original thread was not really about uniforms, but about the public
perception of Dixieland. (in the USA)

Public Perception:

Speaks for the USA only as Kash, Elliot and others do not really have the
public perception problem with "Dixieland" that we do in the USA. (Though
Cees in Holland does have a perception problem) No matter what we think, the
general public perceives "Dixieland" as older, white musicians, dressed in
old time outfits, playing yesterday's corny music. They do not see its
relevance as jazz, some have never heard it. And the music critics avoid
reviewing it because they perceive it as passe. That is the baggage
"Dixieland" carries. If we intend to get more attention by the public, to
Dixieland, then we must change that perception.

Please note the NY Times Review, posted previously about "Dixieland" as
played by Roswell Rudd. A generally favorable review ending with:

"He was as galvanizing a presence as ever; at his best, he made the music
sound as if it were still being discovered."

Do we understand the significance of that statement? And the significance of
the review itself? I may be wrong but I cannot remember a Dixieland review
in the NY TIMES Arts Section over the past 30 years. Because of the negative
public and critic's perception mentioned above. Now, all of a sudden,
Roswell Rudd, with Eli's Chosen Six, gets favorably reviewed. WOW - DOUBLE
WOW. Here was a 70 year old, giant jazz player, mostly now avant garde,
creating a fresh sounding music and playing "Sheik of Araby" and "Tishomingo
Blues" for starters.

Along with journeyman NYC Dixielanders, Lee Lorenz on trumpet and Leroy Sam
Parkins on clarinet. Who are they? Just two guys who have been in the
trenches at clubs and other public venues in NYC gathering a few new
Dixieland fans 40 years. Virtual unknowns to most literati who are not
knowledgeable about the real world of music.

Yeah, I know, Wynton got a couple of Times reviews of his small band playing
polyphonic counterpoint at Lincoln Center. But like Fred Spencer said, that
was reviewed as "New Orleans Jazz" or "Roots Jazz" not "Dixieland" because
the media still views Dixieland as grumpy old white men's music.

So here is some unsolicited advice to those of us on the list who are in the
trenches gathering new fans for the music. Make the music sound as if it
were still being discovered. And Bria, if you are listening, bring something
new to the party, not just a rehash of what has already been done.

Mike Vax said it best, and I hope I'm paraphrasing correctly. What is wrong
with playing a few modern chords in Dixieland for the general audience? And
what's wrong with playing Swing? Heck, my band does it, Roswell Rudd does
it, Mike Vax probably does it, Joe Hopkins does it.  Even Jonathan Russell
does it because he answered my modern changes right back when we traded
fours last weekend. Lots of us on this chat list do it.

If you are in the trenches, fighting for audience, creating new fans, then
for goodness sake, make the music relevant to that audience. Make the
presentation relevant follow a dress code like our dead heroes did. They
dressed in uniforms of their present times, not the past.

On the other hand if you are in venues that like that old timey stuff, get
as corny as they want, complete with straw hats, vests, arm garters etc. But
don't be surprised if the mass audience and the guys in the trenches laugh
at you.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone