[Dixielandjazz] Straw hats, Garters, Vests, Etc.

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Tue Nov 22 07:56:02 PST 2005

In a message dated 11/22/2005 10:06:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

As I  understand it, the striped vest and straw hat came out of one of  the
revival periods, either the 50s or the 70s, both of which our sage  Tom
Wiggins stopped short of in his historical survey of band outfits. This  look
is now part of the sacred history of our music, even if it's not out  of the
original time and place, so why fight it. It's one option for how to  dress
the part.

Elzabar's note from Israel, (fascinating concept--Dixieland in  Jerusalem),
reminded me of Dick Hyman's essay on this general topic in his  book, Dick
Hyman: Piano Pro. Max Morath told me once he considers  Dick the best piano player
in New York City and I would have to agree from what  I've seen him
accomplish in all genre's in all keys. Yes, he can play  everything in all keys.
Anyway, here's what Dick said, if Tom Wiggins  hasn't already mentioned all this:

"Back in the 1950's there was a vogue for records of a sort of piano  playing
best known as honky-tonk.Always performed on a fairly out-of-tune  upright
piano, the music recalled countless movie settings of Western saloons  and
Tenderloin barrooms. Its tinny tonality instantly evoking images of pitchers  of
beer, dance-hall girls with bright red garters, and cowboy shoot-outs.Whether
these old-time pianists actually played in the now well-defined honky-tonk
style remains in some doubt...Although some ragtime authorities consider (this
style) to be an authentic representation...(I feel that) we knew better...the
style quickly developed...but there was never any attempt...to be historically
 accurate. It was fun music...The repertorie itself defined the style. Songs
of  the Gay Nineties were favored not only for their period flavor, but
because  there were in the public domain...no royalties (had to be paid) to
publishers. Other old-time songs of the '20s were included..."

I grew up in the 50's listening to Joe Fingers Carr and Knuckles  O'Toole,
assuming these were authentic styles of some kind or other. One of  the great
songs of the era was The Old Piano Roll Blues, actually  written in 1949. What
amazes me now, is that this entire genre was created in  the 50's. I still love
it and still play it whenever I get a chance.

Dan (backup piano man) Spink