[Dixielandjazz] Costumes (& Humor)

Barrie Walter Marshall walter.marshall at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 04:57:24 PST 2005

 Some years ago I did a dept job with a local jazz band who shall remain
nameless as they where not very good to say the least, the band uniform was
striped waistcoats and straw hats, I am not knocking the outfits even if it
is a little corny, the band got a lot of work......the band leader (often
the worst musician in the band as in this case) had the prime skill for
getting gigs, he was and still is very good at marketing his band and
networking, anyway back to the story.

In the break I was talking to three elderly ladies who loved the band, one
of them said something to me that I have never forgotten "you can tell its a
proper jazz band by the way you are dressed"!

I find that a lot of the punters we do gigs for apart from jazz clubs,
festivals etc, are happy if you just make a jolly sound and they can tap
there feet.

Barrie