[Dixielandjazz] Costumes (& Humor)

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Nov 21 19:59:35 PST 2005

I was going to let this slide on by and not carry on with it, but too
many others have chimed in to make it an interesting thread even if it
has been bantered about for several years.

I am sitting here looking at one of my Jazz Encyclopedias,  and I see
photos of Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Gary Giddons, The Superior
Jazz  Band, and  Creole musicians as far back as 1865,  everyone of
them Dressed Elegantly in Tuxedos or Suits and Ties, and formal attire
for the ladies too.

Next I see a photograph of a White Orchestra all in BLACK FACE
conducted by Lew Dockstader also in Black Face and Top Hat, circa 1910
at the Possum Hunt Club.

The Grand opening of DIXIE PARK  had the Peerless Orchestra, suited and
required to be able to play for any and all occasion for the outdoor
shows they wore Black  Slacks, Black coats, white shirts or Black
shirts and ties and Black Hats with the name of the band on the front.
  when moving indoors to play for a Dance they doffed the Hats, and
donned their fine suits  and yes vests, albeit dark colored and not a
stripe in site.

The only known photo of BUDDY BOLDENS ORCHESTRA also shows them wearing
Black suits white shirts black bow ties and NO VESTS.

Papa Jack Laine's band also wore custom made military style suits &
hats.  White guys.

Even Jelly Roll Morton dressed up in a Black Suit, as did Sydney
Bechet, and so did the Eagle BAND  WITH GEORGE "POPS' FOSTER"  and
Buddy Petit.   While not uniformed, Kid Ory's band was still dressed in
suits and elegant.   The Original Tuxedo Band attire spoke for itself
in their name, now I do see three white guys wearing Straw Hats in the
crowd behind the band.  :))

Now the Marching bands were definitley Pimped out as we call it today.
But still no Vests and straw hats as of 1910.

Freddie  "King" Keppard's band/ called the Olympia Orchestra had custom
tailored Uniforms as well, looking like Neru Jackets with hash marks
designs on the sleeves.   Joe King Oliver  1905  wore A Suit & Bow tie.
   Joe Frisco showed up in 1915 with "Brown's Band from Dixieland, all
white guys in the photo and not a Straw Hat in the bunch.   The
Original Creole Orchestra, 1914 in Los Angeles, wearing Tuxedos.

Whoops what is this ?? a photo of TODJB 1917  Dressed in Tuxedos, not a
vest or garter belt or straw hat in site.  In 1919 they seem to have
donned White Top hats with the word DIXIE  spelled out with one letter
on each hat but still wearing tuxedos.

Sidney Bechet's Jazz Kings wore Feathered Turbans in 1921 with frilly
shirts and tuxedos.

The Frisco Syncopators apparently started the "Nut Jazz Movement"
donning clown suits, also called imitators of the ODJB.

The first vest weariung band seems to be " The Wolverines" In Richmond,
Indiana,  1924,  with "BIX"  hello!!!

Fletcher Henderson 1924   Tuxedos.  Jack Teagarden  Tuxedo, 1924,

Whitney's Lindy Hoppers  1937  White Suits and White Fedora's white
vests.   1939  Eddie Condon  white shirts, grey slaqcks & ties,  no
straw hats yet.

Now a photo of Charlie Christian, saying goodbye to two friends in
Oklahoma who were wearing Straw Hats , 1939.

Well I quit,  I am up to Stan Kenton and I still don't see any bands
attired like that.

Jazz players were elegant and most of them dressed up and looked
successful.

Cheers,

Tom  Pimp me out Wiggins

-