[Dixielandjazz] Clothes

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Nov 22 02:47:14 PST 2005

I agree with Bob Ringwald.  The occassion tells you what to wear.  Being in
Spain, we have no problem with the "Dixieland look", as there are no
preconceived ideas on the costume.

Although I usually have my own mind made up, I will "guide" a client to
agreeing with what I had already decided upon.  There's an important matter
here, particularly when you speak of weddings, etc.  The person hiring you
has probably never done this before, and the band has done it many times.
So, the people are very appreciative of a little "guidance", which is in
inverted comas on purpose!  Then, of course, the band must have some common
sense.

Our band is a coop, which means everyone else leaves everything to me, so
I'm the guy that decides!   :>  Only makes sense, really, since I'm the only
guy with a bit of business sense, and cheek to pull it all off.

We have multicolored vests (for parties & weddings, etc.), black shirts &
black slacks for dressy type gigs, individual suits for concerts, and normal
clothing for clubs. Normal clothes:  there's another tricky one.  I'm a
strong believer in "stage presence", so don't think a band member should
show up in the clothes he's been in all day.  Nice, clean & pressed shirt
with clean trousers.  I just try to look like I made an effort!  In the case
of clubs I mind my own body, but don't say much to the others.  That's why
we're still together after all these years.

Jim