[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixieland definitions

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Mon Nov 21 14:24:09 PST 2005

Steve and all trad jazz lovers,

In the Netherlands there is a new TV-show, called the Club of 100, that
gives a platform to people with different views.
I'm on it for about 2 minutes to-morrow advocating my love for, i.m.o., the
most beautiful form of jazz, based on
interaction and collective improvisation. Traditional may-be in the choice
of tunes, but experimental in all other ways.
E.g.:I have never played the same solo twice in my life, so I'm always
creating and renewing, like most of the quality trad jazzers
I know. Putting down trad jazz musicians because they use "old material" is
just like putting down modern painters
because they still use paint... The tunes, the chord progressions, are only
the basis of creating new music.
This is in short what I tried to explain on my, prerecorded, TV-appearance.
You'll find quotes on www.clubvan100.nl of what you ,Wynton Marsalis and
Miles Davis wrote, but you won't
be able to understand the message because it's all in Dutch. (Click on
Clubleden =club members, an then fill in Cees).
My goal: to break down the stereotyping of trad jazz, and trying to get more
airplay for this music
so that the young people (who are always enthiousastic and stunned when they
hear the music,sometimes for the
first time in a live performance) can hear it on the radio or see it on TV.
Jazz did not start with bop, like all the
conservatories teach in the Netherlands.
Wynton Marsalis came to the Rotterdam (NL) conservatory a few years ago and
started with "That's a plenty"...
The students and teachers were almost in a coma....and put Wynton in the
"old farts" box after that.
Go figure..(Maybe it's fighting windmills)

Keep swinging,

Cees van den Heuvel
www.revivaljassband.nl

----- Original Message ----- (snip/snip)> Sadly, the media moguls thought