[Dixielandjazz] Sitting in

Barrie Walter Marshall walter.marshall at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 03:48:13 PST 2005

Sitting In,

I have a band in the UK that lets people sit in, I wont elaborate look at
the link to my band on Fred Burnett's Website

http://www.btinternet.com/~jazzworld/sunstrt.htm

Many years ago we where playing and this young man about 18 walked into the
bar carrying a violin, he asked me if he could play with the band I said OK
not knowing he did not know the rules, we started to play and he just took
out his violin and walked over to the band and just stood there, we all
looked at each other and thought what on earth is going on and who is this
guy, he did not play until we nodded to him, he put bow to violin and
proceeded to astonish us all with his playing, he was astounding, his
technique was outstanding, he could improvise well, he had a great
understanding of the music and overflowing passion almost like Hungarian
gypsy music, now what is amazing is when we got chatting to him he had never
played with a jazz band before and had only played along to Django records
at home, sometime later he went to the St Petersburg Conservatory Of Music
studying singing and conducting, fortunately he could speak fluent Russian
he had learned from his mother and father, don't you just hate people like
that.

Two young guys who came along to sit in as newcomers are now both
professional musicians having cut their teeth with us, one  was still at
school and was going to be a doctor! and many more who are now playing
regularly.