[Dixielandjazz] Re. Mighty Aphrodite

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Nov 16 19:35:52 PST 2005

I received a private reply to my earlier message in this thread, apparently
from a big fan or supporter of Mighty Aphrodite, who wrote:

> So glad you'll be in SD to hear the Mighty
> Aphrodite.

Before everyone gets too carried away, I would guess that most festival
attendees are going to San Diego for an entire festival, not just to hear
Mighty Aphrodite or any other single band.

There are very few musicians in any genre whom I'd drive 7 hours one-way to
hear.  The last time I drove that far for a musical performance was in the
1980's, when I went from Bettendorf, IA to Minneapolis. That was for
performances of Carmen, Falstaff and Der Rosenkavalier, back when the
Metropolitan Opera still did an annual spring tour.

> Keep passing the word!!
> Hope others will follow them to San Diego!!!

You speak as if we've all signed on to an "Aphrodite Evangelical Crusade."
Well, I  certainly haven't.  I've heard only three of the players.  I've
also seen a couple of those players take control of the stage from bands who
generously invited them up as a guest for one or two tunes.  If the entire
band can play as well as a couple of its members can promote themselves,
then they'll be worth hearing.  I'll go to San Diego, hear this band among
many others, evaluate what I hear, and report back accordingly.

I hope that when I hear the entire band, they'll be as good as their
supporters say they are.  And if so, I hope they stay together.  But only
time and long-term audience reaction will tell whether "Mighty Aphrodite" is
a solid band with staying power, or a flash in the pan.

-- Jim O'Briant