[Dixielandjazz] Mighty Aphrodite Jazz Band

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Nov 15 21:50:55 PST 2005

Steve Barbone wrote, in part:

> ... They are a band of young women. The audience
> is a lot of old men who still fantasize.
>
> ... You can bet every nickel you have that they
> will draw a crowd of admirers whether or not they
> can play jazz.

I heard three of these women at Sacramento last May, guesting with other
bands and also in the organized jam sessions:

	Bria Skonberg, trumpet
	Claire McKenna, clarinet
	Emily Asher, trombone

All three played very well, particularly Ms. McKenna. And they're a darned
sight better looking than the average trad jazz band!

Last night at Pacific Brass Band rehearsal, I asked Howard Miyata if he'd
heard them in Arizona this past weekend.  He said yes, and that they were
fantastic.  They'll be at the San Diego Festival later this month, and I
plan to hear the whole band together there.

Jim O'Briant
Tuba
Gilroy, CA