[Dixielandjazz] Pld Folks Don't Buy Records?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Nov 15 14:12:15 PST 2005

Almost correct Steve:

I would venture to say that the $19,000.00 NY Times ad was paid for by
the Record label, or with Free Promotional copies of Bruce's records as
the incentive to buy the add, and of course it will come out of his
Royalties.

The other situation is that many of US Old Folks just have not realized
yet that we are OLD by record label standards, and the guys who promote
the Springsteen's and Rod Stewart's and a few others, have also not
figured that one out all together yet.   But you don't see them
trotting out any new artists over 35 trying to make superstars out of
them do you??

No they are dipping back into the statistics well for older artists to
milk out the profits they are supposedly losing from all the
downloading of the teeny boppers fro 13-25.   The older folks will
actually pay more for recordings of their Hero Musicians, and many of
them by mail order from the Columbia Record  Club and BMG record Club
etc, again which by STANDARD contract do not have to Pay the Artists
Royalties on any Promotional copies or copies sold at less than normal
retail prices for advertising and promotional purposes.

They have figured out that they can indeed go back and siphon a
respectable percentage of the Super Star artists original fans with a
high powered well placed advertising campaign and TV exposure.

Cheers,

Tom