[Dixielandjazz] copying CD's

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Nov 14 09:24:51 PST 2005

Tom Duncan wrote:
>The problem is that, quite frequently, I am told that the CD doesn't play
at all or only some >tracks play.

Tom, the problem is that this "burning CD's" is just not what it's assumed
to be.  It is not a professionally done CD.  It is computer-eese, if you
please!  (I just made that up!)   :>

In my studio I prepare masters for huge runs of CD's.  I first do a digital
copy to DAT tape (which I trust!), and then from the DAT tape digitally to
two professional audio CD writers (which I don't trust!).  And, these are
$1,500 jobbers, copying to expensive "for audio recording only" blank CD's
in real time....none of your fast stuff here.

To believe that CD's prepared for data transfer & copied at faster than real
time on a burner that costs as little as $75 is going to behave properly all
the time is foolhardy.  Even the so-called professional material & equipment
doesn't always come out well, and may not be compatible on some players.
That's just the CD world as it is.

Those are my thoughts and experiences on the subject.

Jim