[Dixielandjazz] copying

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Nov 14 09:22:41 PST 2005

I pretty much concur with your theory Jim, except I use the revenue
form CD sales on tour to offset touring expenses, so when I hear a
couple of folks talking about copying for each other I try to
circumvent that by explaining to them that we depend upon income from
sales to help defray the tour to come and play for them live, and I
offer to sell them two for one but at only $10.00 each in European
countries they already have a bargain and it is rarely even a problem.
   I see many artists trying to make money selling their CDs at $20.00
each and I see some of them sell a fair amount, but more often than not
the majority  folks here in the States look at them like they are crazy
and mutter as they walk away that they will buy it at Tower Records for
a discounted price.

Unfortunately they walk away insulted and I'll wager they never go to
the Retail store and buy a copy of that artist either even if they
could find it in stock there in the first place.  I'll take the impulse
buyer every time, "Money talks, B.S. walks "  Bird in the Hand etc,
Besides my CDs are also business cards and I am not afraid to use them
as such when I see good booking opportunities.   They are Marketing
Tools, not treasured Collectors items that folks should have to go look
for.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

    I have read with interest all the answers on this subject.  I only
object to
the original title.  Why point the finger only at young people?

We sell our CD's at gigs only because I'm thrilled that people enjoy our
music enough to want to take it home with them.  Yeah, we make money at
it,
but that is not my prime concern.  It's just not that much money.  When
two
people are holding two different CD's (we have four issues on sale) and
trying to make a decision, I often say "each one of you buy one, and
copy
for each other".  I mean, they paid to get in to see us, are willing to
spend a bit more to take us home with them.  I'm just not worried about
it.

There is a small amount taxed on recordable media that eventually winds
up
at the collective agencies in each country.  I doubt if much of that
ever
hits the deep, dry section of a musician's pocket.

Jim