[Dixielandjazz] copying

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Nov 14 01:12:00 PST 2005

I have read with interest all the answers on this subject.  I only object to
the original title.  Why point the finger only at young people?

We sell our CD's at gigs only because I'm thrilled that people enjoy our
music enough to want to take it home with them.  Yeah, we make money at it,
but that is not my prime concern.  It's just not that much money.  When two
people are holding two different CD's (we have four issues on sale) and
trying to make a decision, I often say "each one of you buy one, and copy
for each other".  I mean, they paid to get in to see us, are willing to
spend a bit more to take us home with them.  I'm just not worried about it.

There is a small amount taxed on recordable media that eventually winds up
at the collective agencies in each country.  I doubt if much of that ever
hits the deep, dry section of a musician's pocket.

Jim