[Dixielandjazz] Young people and copying CD's

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Nov 13 21:59:14 PST 2005

Absolutely - I was referring to the million sellers not the few hundred
we might sell.  Fewer equals higher per unit cost.  I think the little
guy is better off producing and selling his own CD's  You can buy a
printing duplicator for $1800 and print your own labels.  Yes a lot of
trouble but you get a CD that costs about a dollar counting CD, the case
and printing a folder.  I did that last Christmas and ran about 50 or so
for my friends and a few clients.  My cost was about the same as
Christmas cards.  Factoring in the cost of a burner you are still less
than $2 per CD.  You can have them silk screened for about 50-75 cents
and buy a regular burner cheaper.  Yes it would take you several days to
do a run of 1000 but no middle man.

On my Christmas card CD I did the inside folder on my computer with
photo quality paper which cost me about $0.25 and I don't remember what
the cases cost but it wasn't much.  The CD's cost about 50 cents.

I would do only as many as you think you might sell at a time that way
It wouldn't take that much time to do a hundred or so.

I think I spent an afternoon designing the cover and making the CD's.  I
made them with my second computer while I did other things.  takes about
7-10 minutes to burn a CD.  It took me an afternoon to edit a concert
that I did into tracks.  I will be passing out that CD along with
business cards real soon.

If you do this then there is $12 or so profit to you.  Doing this you
would make money at $10 a copy and you don't need to have them shrink
wrapped if you are selling them directly.
Think about it.
Larry
St. Louis