[Dixielandjazz] Young people and copying CD's

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 13 21:08:42 PST 2005

You are missing some major points Mike,
DVD, CD and tape recorders exist because there are other reasons for
their use than copying legit discs. One is to make tapes and discs
originally using the computer as the recording device or "sound board".
Another is to copy perfectly legally these and other legally copyable discs.
OR computer disks, which are standard adjunct to a computer these days
and which need to be copied as back up etc. They get used to store
far far more than music, programs, data, backup info, photos and on and on.
They are the portable way to transport large volumes of the above.
Both the music and the computer data are nowadays stored in digital
form. There is essentially no difference between them.

Even if the only use for cd recorders were music, which it is not,
should I be prevented from buying a cd maker to record my own band?
AND         If I'm allowed, but not someone else, how do you police who gets the cd makers?
The govt. has to do this, for it to work. What else would you like them
to police, prevent, control?

To paraphrase an NRA slogan. Autos don't kill people, drivers  kill people.
                 (Admittedly there are exceptions that usually result in a recall.)
--- Similarly, recorders don't pirate, recorder owners pirate.
In fact, eliminate all CD and DVD burners and I can still copy the disc
onto something "replayable", and if you can't buy it I can build it, so its a useless fight.
*E.g. I could connect a VCR to my CD player and record it on VHS tape -- audio at least,
if not digital.)\

As I said in my other note, tho' give me the ability to select tracks at will on
the internet at 99 cents and I probably won't go to the trouble of any of the above.
The way to defeat technological piracy is by pricing it right and making the
"legal" way too convenient to ignore.
 (Take that as the truth from a technological pirate.) Don't sweat the few
who cheat because the challenge is fun. They're far fewer in number, can't be defeated and
have p--- poor taste in music anyway.

Craig Johnson