[Dixielandjazz] Complete Sony CDs Info

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Sat Nov 12 10:40:43 PST 2005

Q. I read the story in your News of the Day newsletter about the Sony
copy-protection software. I own several Sony CDs and listen to them on my  computer.
I'm not sure I understand what a rootkit is, but it sounds bad. How  worried
should I be about this? – George in Pittsburgh, listening on WPGB  104.7

A. This is big, big news. I will be discussing it on my weekly radio show
the weekend.

A lot has happened in the past week, so let me start by bringing everyone  up
to speed. Last week, a security expert discovered that copy-protection
software on some Sony CDs installed a rootkit on Windows computers. A rootkit is  a
particularly pernicious form of malware capable of cloaking itself and its
actions.

Rootkits burrow deep into Windows. They hide by intercepting calls between
the operating system and programs. They remove their file names from the calls.
 Rootkits can also tell Windows to hide files and programs. So they're
difficult  to detect.

Users who tried to remove the rootkit manually encountered a nasty  surprise.
It rendered their CD drives inoperable. Users had to reformat and  reinstall
Windows to fix the problem.

To add insult to injury, Thomas Hesse, president of Sony BMG's global
digital business division, was quoted on National Public Radio as saying that
people shouldn't care because they don't understand rootkits.

Sony subsequently issued a patch it claims will uninstall the rootkit.
Unfortunately, many people have encountered problems with the patch. It has  caused
lost data and computers to crash. Further, others have complained that it  is
difficult to get the patch. The company also said it would temporarily stop
making disks with the rootkit.

Consumers in California have filed a lawsuit against Sony Music. They are
seeking to stop Sony from selling CDs that include the software. They're also
seeking compensation for damage caused to their computers by the software.

On Thursday, a Trojan that takes advantage of the Sony rootkit started
appearing. A variation of the Breplibot Trojan installs the file $sys$drv.exe.  The
Sony rootkit hides files whose system filename begins with $sys$. Sony says
it has distributed information to ant-virus companies that will allow their
products to attack malicious programs using Sony's cloaking technology.

Nonetheless, I remain worried. If the rootkit is installed on a computer,
hackers may be able to use it to do anything. They know how to exploit it.

Sony uses two different copy-protection programs on its CDs. Only one
installs the rootkit, and it is included on about 20 titles. The Electronic
Frontier Foundation has a list of the CDs on its site:
_http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004144.php_
(http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004144.php)

But I wouldn't take chances. Until we know more, I wouldn't play
Sony-produced CDs on my computer. The risk is just too great.

If your computer is infected, you can download a tool to disable the
rootkit. It is available from Sony and from First 4 Internet, the company that
developed the software. Their sites are, respectively:
_http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/_ (http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/)
_http://updates.xcp-aurora.com/_ (http://updates.xcp-aurora.com/)

Don't forget to listen to the show for updates of this story! And please
tell some of your friends and family members about our newsletters and show.
We've got a handy form on the Web site set up just for  that.
_http://www.komando.com/newsletter.asp#friends_
(http://www.komando.com/newsletter.asp#friends)

Thanks for  writing!
Kim                :)

--> MORE FREE COMPUTER KNOW-HOW! SIGN UP NOW!
Become the ultimate  computer pro the easy and fun way! Send one e-mail to
sign up for my Tip of the  Day: _tips at komando.com_ (mailto:tips at komando.com)