[Dixielandjazz] Cell Block Seven

Max Hughes maxuuu at connexus.net.au
Fri Nov 11 18:23:58 PST 2005

Hall, Cindi wrote:

>Hi,
>I have been seeking information/history on the original Cell Block Seven
>group.
>I have one of their original 45 records that was recorded around 1953 that
>I'm planning to post on Ebay soon (Tin Roof Blues/Mama Don't allow it).  I
>know that one of the band members (Lacey Stinson) was from Ruston, LA and
>was killed in a car accident traveling from Ruston to SMU.   I'm trying to
>find out a little more history on the band itself.  They seem to have been
>very popular in the Dallas area.
>
>Also, is there a connection between the original SMU group and the current
>California group?
>
>Any info you have would be greatly appreciated!!

G'day Cindi,
They were one of my favourite groups, too.  I think their leader was
Tommy Loy, who used to be on this list, but is now, sadly, departed.
Tommy  played trumpet, Lacey Stinson Clarinet, Tam Mott trombone, Bill
Nugent piano, Joe Savage banjo, Phil Elliott bass, and Rusty Brown drums.

Can't tell you much more, I'm sorry.
Max Hughes
Melbourne.