[Dixielandjazz] "Needles"

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Thu Nov 10 13:36:23 PST 2005

When Pat said

> did anyone,ever, only use a needle once?

my thoughts were I wish they all did (myself included).

When you are trying to clean up a 78 for remastering the first 10 or so
seconds on each side are the worst.

This is because the needles are usually softer than the material used to
make the 78s and were designed to be "gentle" with the groove. As the 78 was
played the needle would "shape" (wear?) itself to the groove of THAT record.
If you then played another 78/side with the same needle it would initially
be out of shape for that side and thus gouge some of the groove. It normally
took about 10 seconds of playing for this to occur.

That was the reason we were told to change needles with each playing.

Phil O'Rourke
Australia