[Dixielandjazz] Tuning, not strings

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Nov 9 09:33:25 PST 2005

I spent a lot of time in military marching bands and tuning is a
constant problem.

Current wisdom suggests tuning to the tuba player but it's all about
consensus.  It's like voting.  Whatever the group decides on is the
correct pitch.  This is usually done by instinct and is pretty automatic
in good players.  Personally I would pick the clarinet because he has
very little tuning range as compared to all other instruments.

So far as tuning on the fly while marching is concerned I think that the
reasons for this are many but often has to do with temperature.  Horns
like 70 degrees.  They don't like 40 or 90 degrees.  Many parades are in
cold temps and the instruments will change a lot after several minutes
of playing.  If it's a large group It's very difficult to tune the whole
group and not let someone's horn get cold.

I would think that outside horn players, especially if it were below 60
degrees, would be tuning on the fly constantly.  Unfortunately they
don't and that's why street and marching bands sound so badly out of tune.
Larry Walton
St. Louis