[Dixielandjazz] Tuning, not strings

Williams, Bob robert.c.williams at eds.com
Wed Nov 9 09:11:51 PST 2005

I always tune a little down from fully closed first position, less for
vibrato than to allow for compensation in case I'm flat.  Or rather, the
rest of the band is ;-).

Generally I don't go sharp on vibrato, only flat.  Going sharp makes it
easier to sound out of tune (which, of course, you *are* if you're using
slide vibrato).  We don't hear flat as distinctly as sharp.

Bob Williams
Trombonist Extraordinaire and
The Worlds's Most Modest Man
mailto:slushpump1 at comcast.net