[Dixielandjazz] Comment from sacjazz.org

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Nov 8 16:21:48 PST 2005

The Little Chicago Jazz Society is headquartered around the Dayton, OH
Area - Google Carl Halin, the founder.
There is some jazz activity in Cincinnati -- look up Ted DesPlantes,
fine jazz pianist who resides there. Columbus has the Central Ohio
Dixieland Jazz Club and they put on monthly dates with some top players.
And for a real lisiting of where jazz is heard in Ohio and nearby
states, get the Mississippi Rag monthly tabloid. A subscription will
give you monthly listings of where live jazz and special events are
held, plus some good articles, photos and coverage of festivals.  Google
Mississippit Rag and get the address there.
You are not in a bad place to find some active jazz -- unlike my own
Northern Michigan where the word is seldom used in any trad meaning. I
mean -- around these parts they think don"t tip musicains because they
think :"tip" is the name of a dog!
Keep those younsters' interest goig and encouorage it. Get good
recordings of the music by good players, and let the ears develop the
understnading of the music.
Don Ingle