[Dixielandjazz] Tuning Guitars and other stringed instruments with electronic meters.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 8 11:28:56 PST 2005

I'm with Paul Edgerton. The electronic meter works just fine in tuning
guitars. (and/or string bass, violin etc.)

I've been working with one of the finest jazz guitarists around over the
past 10 years or so and he uses a meter. Ditto for our bass player.

Folks who have good ears are amazed at how in tune they, and the rest of the
band, are. Especially when we occasionally play in unison. The front line
tunes by ear to the guitar. We all used to use meters but since we horn guys
all alter pitch with our chops, that became senseless.

When watching the meter, if flat, we tightened our lip and if sharp we
loosened our lip. So when tuning to the meters, whether tuning slides or
barrels were in or out, we would put the pitch on the correct meter needle
or l.e.d. reading. Worked better for us to tune by ear to the guitar.

Cheers,
Steve