[Dixielandjazz] Educators vs. Successful Working Musicians

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 7 20:46:23 PST 2005

Gus Bloch @ Talegatorz at aol.com wrote

> I wonder how many of these music educators were ever sucessful working
> musicians in the first place?

Great question Gus. But then, how do we define successful working musician?
If we say that's a guy/gal who makes a good living at it, then there are not
a lot of them around. If we talk about successful working jazz musicians,
there are even less.

My votes for successful working musicians would go to those in Symphony
Orchestras, or pit bands, or on TV talk shows, or those who back Madonna et
al, or those in Military bands, or Smooth Jazzers like Kenny G., or jazzers
like Wynton Marsalis, or gasp/choke. . . those musicians who make a decent
living as educators.

On the other hand, if we equate success to "artistic" achievement and not
filthy lucre, then all of us jazz musicians, are successful, especially if
starving in spite of our genius, creativity and persistence.  :-) VBG

Cheers, (tongue firmly in cheek)
Steve