[Dixielandjazz] Monerey Big Sur Half-Marathon

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Nov 6 11:52:45 PST 2005

Bob Romans wrote:

>My son ran 13.1 miles this morning in Monterey, and he told me that along the route there was a Dixieland playing to help people run faster! Now, what do you think he meant by THAT remark? Fidgety Feet? I HOPE that's what he meant!
>Does anyone in that area know who might have been playing there this AM?
>Warm regards,
>Bob Romans,
>Cell Block 7 Jazz Band
>1617 Lakeshore Dr.
>Lodi, Ca. 95242
>209-339-4676
>www.cellblockseven2002.net
>Cell 209-747-1148
>Because I play trumpet, I envy no one.
>""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Perhaps that made them run faster to get away from the sound -- perhaps
a strange one to ears used to rap and rotten roll.
It might have also been to spur them on forward as was the case for the
British Army which put Scots pipers in the line to make the charging
Black Watch and others so fiece to get to the enemy -- not just for the
valor but to get the hell away from the damn noise behind them.
I do not subscribe to that theory having played a set of Sinclair pipes
my father brought home for me in '51 from one of his British tours.
I found that it attracted a lot of attention -- though my English setter
seemed to prefer to hide under the bed. But then his ancestors were of
English origins, not Scottish
and the sound of bagpipes may linger on in a dog's ethnic tribal memory
from past milleniums.
Scots wa hae!,
Don Ingle