[Dixielandjazz] Re: A 440

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sat Nov 5 15:27:00 PST 2005

I teach physics and can answer your question.  Middle C is not tuned to 440
Hz.  That would be the A above middle C.  Middle C is about 256 Hz or
something like that.

As for the Hz/cps thing, you are correct.  A Hertz (named after the
physicist Heinrich Hertz) is equal to one wave (cycle) per second.  As for
frequency, the Hertz or cycle per second is the *unit* used for measuring
frequency, not exactly the same thing as frequency itself, which would be
the number of waves passing by a point in a given second.

Hal Vickery