[Dixielandjazz] Hot Cruise Ship Gig Available

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 15:10:45 PST 2005

I am with you Jim:

I just passed it on, I feel that Two musicians or one and an electronic
science major is still one step above the Karaoke bar or a DJ.    But
then again in the USA the DJ's have out marketed the live bands for so
long that they now get more money than most bands ever made for a four
hour gig around these parts anyway.

These guys are often doing Weddings for $1,200.00 to $2,500.00  and
telling the bride & groom that they could never afford a live band.
How did this happen, because the musicians rolled over and played dead
and did not fight back when they should have.

A few of us don't have that problem, because we stayed in the marketing
game and fought and still fight for good paying gigs.

Many other mediocre bands with less marketing skills as well just sat
back and let the Djs walk all over them.

The Cruise lines entertainment directors are generally simply some
corporate twit just looking to cut the budget to the bare minimum and
do not really care about the passengers having a good time on many
ships, there answer to everything is just DRINK DRINK DRINK  and have
FUN FUN FUN.   The pay scale on many ships for entertainers is about
the same as flippin' burgers at McDonalds and the cruise gigs are a lot
less glamorous than they sound like, especially on the Carnival Lines,
and their food is about on par with Denny's coffee shops.   But they do
have cheap cruises.

Sadly,

Tom Wiggins