[Dixielandjazz] Karaoke: There's a lesson here!

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Nov 1 12:03:50 PST 2005

The Big Bad Wolfe wrote:
Karaoke is popular because people really do love to sing and perform.

And, (I add), show off!  My limited experience is that folks doing this
Karaoke stuff shouldn't!  As much as I'm a showy guy on stage, you wouldn't
get me near one of those things.  I'd die of embarrassment, which no one I
know seems to understand!  One thing is doing "my gig", and another thing is
getting up there for that!  Not for me.....

The Bad Wolfe continues:
It has always amazed my band-mates how people love to sing along at our
shows.

And, I add:
I wouldn't go as far as to say I encourage it that much, especially since
most of my audience is Spanish speaking, but I do it on several songs, and
it is good fun for everyone.  But, that has nothing to do with my opinion of
a Karaoke scene...and, my original remark that it's just a shame that
recorded music (even within a band such as I mentioned in my earlier mail)
is heard.  And, I know it has to do with economics, etc., as I mentioned
before.

I won't agree with you, Sr. Wolfe, on the Karaoke scene, but will agree with
audience participation at live gigs.  So, we're 1 to 1!

Cheers,

Jim