[Dixielandjazz] Taking Care of Business

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon May 23 22:48:55 PDT 2005

In a message dated 5/23/05 6:17:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Singer/Rock Musician Steve Miller (Take The Money &Run", "Fly Like an
> Eagle") recently was among a number of speakers at a conference of 400
> business Executives in Atlanta GA. The presentations included topics such as
> "Benchmarking for Competitive Advantage".
>
> Said Miller attired in a gray business suit: "I love playing but you can't
> get to the good stuff unless you keep an eye on the business."
>
> "Miller's speech underlies a truth that's become more obvious recently. Rock
> &Roll is big business and hard-living stereotypes aside, the rockers who
> succeed over the long run are the ones paying attention to business." . . .

Geeze  I wonder where Mr. Miller got that line from?  :))

I took on his booking and management in 1972  when he was earning $3,500.00 a
concert and three years later he was up to $60,000.00 a concert against 60%
of the gross ticket sales, plus 75% of his record and merchandise sales.

He looked at me on morning at an 8:00 a.m. radio interview through his
bloodshot Jack Daniels eyes from the night before and asked me how much money he
paid me, and I told him not enough for the work I did and also the baby-sitting
of him when he went on his binges.

He used to call me "SLICK" because he never played a date booked by me that
he did not get paid in full for no matter what the out come of the ticket sales
were.  He could never figure out why the accounting was always correct,
because most of his other rock buddies were getting ripped off pretty well in those
days, by their record labels and some shyster rock promoters of the day.

I made 10% in those days and he told me he wanted me to cut to 5% now since
he was a Big Star and he thought he was paying me too much money.

I told him to put it where the sun don't shine and walked out of the studio
and flew home without leaving him a copy of the remainder of the itinerary.

This is the same MR. Businessman that decided to take a year off at the
height of his success and told me to fire all the employees that worked for us
running his BUSINESS.

Now he wears Grey Business Suits and is a guest speaker, ha ha ha ha,  I
remember him in Italian Jump suits being arrested in the park at 2:00 a.m. with no
ID in the company ladies younger than he should have been in private with.

Oh yeah, he did however do something that most rockers rarely ever do, He did
pay attention to what I had done and set up to run his career and help him
keep most of the money he actually earned.

This from a guy who got kicked out of the University in Wisconsin, and moved
to San Francisco to be a hippie musician with Curly Cook and Boz Scaggs.

Mr. Scaggs as he now likes to be called left Miller too and has done very
well for himself, no doubt two of the smarter rockers I worked with from that
era, but then again they did a taste of Booze but neither were ever hard druggers
which probably is what saved them.

Oh well.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins