[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Goes To College

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Fri May 20 15:20:11 PDT 2005

Charlie Suhor wrote:
> As I groaned through these awful responses, I wondered--am I blaming
> the victims? If I were the teacher, I'd think about making some
> changes in the program, maybe even a change of profession.

Just last night I attended a school board meeting whether they
considered a proposal to start a GATE program.  The pilot program would
cost a couple of hundred dollars per student.  It was noted that board
had just authorized the expenditure of many thousands of dollars for
just one low-functioning student.

Then I thought about all of the players in the little drama we call
education:  The student, the teacher, the parent, the administrator.
Each one has an effect on the outcome, positive or negative.  Whom do we
fault when we see test responses like these?  Most likely, all of them.

There's nothing wrong with blaming the victim when the victim is at
fault -- even partly at fault.  There's plenty of blame to go around --
but not always enough education.

-- Paul Edgerton