[Dixielandjazz] Songs that are takeoffs of other songs

martno1 at aol.com martno1 at aol.com
Wed May 18 13:26:03 PDT 2005

Bud mentioned I Didn't Raise my Son to be a Soldier in his list of tunes, and it reminded me of some of the take-offs written about it. I didn't raise my son to be a Soldier was popular during America's isolationist phase before we entered WWI. When we entered the war things changed, and there were several songs written along the lines of I'm Proud to Raise my Boy to be a Soldier and I'm Proud to Raise My Girl to be a Nurse. (All heroic Tin Pan Alley women in WWI seemed to be either nurses or doughnut girls). Then the humorists took over and came out with I Didn't Raise my Car to be a Jitney and I Didn't Raise my Dog to be a Sausage.
     A friend of mine and I, just for the fun of it, are putting together a packet of such takeoff songs. Like Dardanella and Dardenella Blues (same for Collegiate and Yes, We Got no Bananas), I'd Like to Kill the Guy Who Write the Stein Song, I've Got a Gal Who's Better than Sal, I'm The Good Man who Was So Hard to Find, I Found the Lost Chord. Also we're putting in some songs that evolved out of an earlier version, such as Yellow Dog Rag becoming Yellow Dog Blues, Willie the Peeper becoming Willie the Weeper, You're a Grand Old Rag hastily being yanked and retitled You''re a Grand Old Flag, etc. Anybody have any good contributions?
Audrey Van Dyke