[Dixielandjazz] Question re "Stage Business"

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon May 16 22:55:54 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Henry Mason wrote:

>While none of us run funny hat bands, from time to time some "stage
>business" or gags of one sort or another find their way into
>performances to add a visual dimension or sometimes just because they
>are funny.     I would appreciate it if some of you veterans would
>describe such for some of us neophytes.   I know you guys have
>invented some pretty interesting and funny ideas and I for one would
>love to know some of the better ones.

Henry, please don't think that "none of us run funny hat bands." I have
always played in and still do play in (The Boondockers) a funny hat band.
Good humor, like good music, is not that easy to produce.  Simply playing a
melody does not necessarily make you a musician and in the same vein,
telling a joke does not automatically make you a comedian!

My favorite OKOM band - the one that gave me more inspiration that most
others - was Spike Jones and his City Slickers!  They were the penultimate
funny hat band and they played GREAT JAZZ!!!!

So please, don't denigrate funny hat bands! They are generally comprised of
good musicians and good comedians - a combination to recon with!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Thimbles" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

ps - check our website ---> http://www.theboondockers.com