[Dixielandjazz] Anderson Fake Book

nvickers1 at cox.net nvickers1 at cox.net
Sun May 15 16:22:16 PDT 2005

Re:  Anderson Fake Book

See Jim Jones' response below.  Let me add some personal endorsement. I am the proud owner of the entire 17 volume Anderson set.  I came across a reference to it somewhere--forgot how I first learned about it.  Ordered volume one and was so impressed ( Charles Anderson wisely sent an index of the entire list of tunes and I was "hooked.")

We were visiting my daughter in San Diego and I took the opportunity to visit Mr. Anderson-- his "office" was a separate building in back of his home.  He explained how the project got started-- musicians, including himself, are always searching for tunes.  He would periodically publish a "want list" of tunes and send to his acquaintance.  I was astounded at the list of musicians--many of whom were recording or performing artists, famous and moderately famous--who were collaborating with him on this project.

Since I am a "difficult-to-find-a present-for" person, I told my three children that something I really wanted was the entire Anderson set.  ( Mr Anderson, now playing in God's band, was of an age that I feared that the project might die with him.) My kids bought the rest of the set and then would parcel them out to me on occasion of birthdays, Christmas and other occasions until I had the complete set.

 Mr. Anderson's project did not go to the grave with him, fortunately for us all, having been assumed by
Jim Jones-- see his note below.

I echo his remark that, considering the amount of material covered, the price is reasonable.  I calculate that it averages about $30/volume-- about what one would pay for a fake book--legit or illegit.  It's not unusual for me to get a request from a fellow musician regarding a tune that can't readily be found elsewhere.  I was pleased to learn that the Anderson fakebooks can be found in world-renouned jazz archives--Rutgers, Tulane, Smithsonian etc.

I can never be bored, because I can always sight-read the tunes and catch up on my musical education!

Thanks for letting me add my heart-felt endorsement.
I "bless" Mr. Anderson frequently for his enrichment of my life.

Norman Vickers
Jazz Society of Pensacola