[Dixielandjazz] Nursing Homes

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Fri May 13 10:54:08 PDT 2005

I play fairly often at an upscale Senior home and I booked a gig next door at their nursing home division.  They also have an assisted care division.  We figured out that it costs about $10 an hour to live there or about $90K a year.  Anyway they asked if someone could sing with us and we had several of the guests sing.  One did a pretty good job on Route 66 and we did several others.  One of the staff noticed one of the guests moving her lips to the tunes.  They held the mike up to her mouth and this wonderful voice came out.  In tune and she sang like a person who had done a lot of combo work.  They told me later that she doesn't speak and had not said a word since she got there.

Larry Walton
St. Louis