[Dixielandjazz] FW: Mildred Bailey remembered

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu May 12 20:04:45 PDT 2005

Thank you once again, Bill. I just wrote about Mildred on the Duke Ellington
mail list (Duke-LYM) and discovered many who still remember the wonderful
way Mildred could tell her story when singing a song. Her sense of time and
rhythm was peerless as was her musical abilities. She is one of those few
singers who can rightly be called a musician.

My own personal favorites by Mildred include "Rockin" Chair", "Smoke
Dreams", "Down-Hearted Blues", "Shoutin' In That Amen Corner", "It's So
Peaceful In The Country", and, if you want to hear her tell a story,
"Weekend Of A Private Secretary".

I'm certain that others have their own favorites.

Stan