[Dixielandjazz] Re: Hadda Brooks 1 (was "As Time Goes By")

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 11 02:54:48 PDT 2005

Dear Tom,
Looks like we¹ve started a new thread!
Why not? That way we may be able to pool all there is on Hadda Brooks, who
has been largely neglected by the jazz community for being an Œentertainer¹
and not a Œjazz musician¹.
Likewise the Œjazz writers¹ seem to have written her off.
She also appears to have been ignored by jazz feminists including Sally
Plaskin and Linda Dahl (apart from one paragraph which includes ³....... a
jazz-influenced pianist and.......a popular performer on the West Coast
during the late 1940s and early 1950s.²)
Your comment that ³She was born in East Los Angeles and Hollywood certainly
knew about her.....² does not really answer my earlier contention. Nor does
the fact that she appeared in the Columbia Pictures film "In a Lonely Place"
with Bogey in 1950.
What I was trying to imply was that the film ŒCasablanca¹ (made in 1942) was
a little too early for her Hollywood, post-classical piano, boogie
performing career, which only appears to have commenced in the mid 1940s.
I have downloaded a swag of biographical stuff on Ms Brooks, but have yet to
absorb it all.
All I am trying to do at the moment is to establish whether she appeared in
the film ŒCasablanca¹.
Maybe you will have to open up that big promotional filing cabinet after
all.
Kind regards,
Bill (who only has three sides [1946 and 1950] by Hadda Brooks in his
collection).
PS: You and Nancy Giffin discussed some of this on the DJML on 13 April last
year.
Nancy gave us a URL  http://www.offbeat.com/ob9910/backtalk.html  which,
unfortunately, I can¹t access at the moment. Something about Œnot found¹
plus a Œ404 error¹.
I thought that I had involved myself in all this at the time, but can¹t find
my contribution (if any).
My mate DJMLer Anton Crouch may remember.
Bill.