[Dixielandjazz] Re: "As Time Goes By"

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue May 10 23:31:21 PDT 2005

In a message dated 5/10/05 10:20:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bhaesler at bigpond.net.au writes:

> Hadda Brooks (1916-2002).
> Sorry Tom. I can't recall a female boogie pianist appearing in Casablanca,
> nor does my current research reveal one. (Can anyone else recall her?)
> I have a reference that pianist Sam's role in Casablanca was originally
> intended to be taken by a woman - either Hazel Scott, Lena Horne, or Ella
> Fitzgerald.
> I suspect that Ms Brooks would have been unknown to Hollywood when
> 'Casabanca' was made. Her first single, "Swingin' The Boogie", came out in
> 1945. Her first film, 'Out of The Blue', was made in 1947.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

Hi Bill:

In addition to my previous post in reply to yours.

Hadda Brooks actually made a couple of  10 minute sepia shorts " Queen of the
Boogie" and "Boogie Woogie Blues"  for All American Pictures which then
co-stared her  in a 1947 musical feature called "This Joint is Jumpin' with
singer-pianist Una Mae Carlisle, which led to her first  cameo as a nightclub
entertainer in the 1947  film "Out of the Blue" starring George Brent, Ann Dvorak and
Carol Landis.

A very nice and talented lady when she was sober, bet she raised a lot of
Hell in her day too, God knows she was pretty enough to get into all the trouble
she wanted to.  :))

Cheers,

Tom "Born too late" Wiggins