[Dixielandjazz] Re: "As Time Goes By"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 10 22:20:10 PDT 2005

Dear Stan and Tom,
Arthur 'Dooley' Wilson, a drummer turned actor, will always be remembered
for his part as the pianist, Sam, in the Humphrey Bogart - Ingrid Bergman
film, 'Casablanca'. He was the singer for "As Time Goes By" and "The Very
Thought Of You" in the film.
The piano for "As Time Goes By" was ghosted by Elliot J Carpenter.
The lead up to the song in the film is also the subject of frequent
misquoting. Even Woody Allen for his 1972 play and film got it wrong. Or did
he do it on purpose?
It is NOT "Play it again, Sam" but simply, "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes
By.'" whispered by Ilsa [Bergman].

Elliot (aka Elliott) J Carpenter (1894-1982).
Pianist, composer, conductor, author and songwriter, educated at the Temple
School of Music, the French Conservatory (with Fouchet and Decroux), and at
the Tadlewski Institute in Nice. He was a pianist in the Jim Europe
orchestra, and then with the New York Syncopated Orchestra. He was a soloist
in night clubs and theatres in New York, London and Paris, and authored the
book "Syncopation". Joining ASCAP in 1955, his chief musical collaborator
was Clarence Muse. His popular-song compositions include "No More Sleepy
Time", "The Little Things You Do" and "The Hills Are Mine". [I have more.]

Arthur 'Dooley' Wilson (1886-1953) had a successful film and television
career from 1935 right through to 1953. [I have details.]

Hadda Brooks (1916-2002).
Sorry Tom. I can't recall a female boogie pianist appearing in Casablanca,
nor does my current research reveal one. (Can anyone else recall her?)
I have a reference that pianist Sam's role in Casablanca was originally
intended to be taken by a woman - either Hazel Scott, Lena Horne, or Ella
Fitzgerald.
I suspect that Ms Brooks would have been unknown to Hollywood when
'Casabanca' was made. Her first single, "Swingin' The Boogie", came out in
1945. Her first film, 'Out of The Blue', was made in 1947.
Kind regards,
Bill.