[Dixielandjazz] Music in Nursing Homes

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue May 10 20:16:07 PDT 2005

In a message dated 5/10/05 7:59:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Yes, I certainly do. We have one local facility (Thorncroft) that uses
> horses for Downs Syndrome patients quite successfully. When the afflicted
> ride, a transformation occurs.
>
> We also have a local group called "Driving For The Disabled" which uses
> horses and carriages therapeutically for various disabilities. Similar
> results, especially when they hold their own competitive events.
>
> However, most horse owners have their own problems. :-) VBG.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

I knew you would know about that program, and I have seen it in action, if we
all put our minds to it we could come up with a Musical Therapy Program that
could and would be funded that would be a win win situation for all involved
so long as nobody gets greedy and tries to steal All the money.

Some of the hospitals get music performance trust fund gig money once in a
while by just accidentally calling a musicians union and getting a guy who knows
how to get the money to fund the gig from the AFof M.   These kind of gigs
however are often carefully guarded and kept in secret for the good OLE boys in
the Union offices that can't get any gigs unless they come through the union
telephone line.

They don't pay lots of money but it certainly enough to cover the expenses
for going out and doing it and you can just use it as a paid rehearsal and the
personal satisfaction you will get from doing it is worth far more than the
money anyway.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins