[Dixielandjazz] Music in Nursing Homes

baglady4 at juno.com baglady4 at juno.com
Tue May 10 17:53:10 PDT 2005

I have been a volunteer at Nursing Homes for the past 7 years, spending most of my efforts in the *Free Spirit* (Alzheimer's)units.

I have witnessed incredible communication with the precious residents because of the music.  From comotose to communication.  Sometimes the
resident will remain in a cognitive state for a period of time even after the music has ended.

I always tell the family to stay for the music presentations, because they will get their loved one back for at least the hour or so that the music is playing.  We play OKOM, big band and songs from the 20's, 30's, and 40s and some show tunes.

Some family members bring old 78's into their loved one's room to play..
and they enjoy communication with their mother, father, aunt, grandmother for as long as the music is playing.

It's a pity the nursing homes don't have a budget for this all important
entertainment/therapy!!!!!

Nancie Beaven