[Dixielandjazz] Re:playing for disabled people in faciilies

rahberry at comcast.net rahberry at comcast.net
Tue May 10 06:34:53 PDT 2005

About 3 months ago I retired from Stanford Hospital.  The mother of one of my patients had a stroke while visiting at the hospital.  I was interested to learn that although she could not speak she was encouraged to sing "Happy Birthday."  I learned that a different part of the brain has that very familiar tune stored away.  Singing it helps the brain re-learn speech.
Sadly, she died within about ten days of having the stroke.
Rae Ann, San Francisco