[Dixielandjazz] Re:playing for disabled people in faciilies

l.swain at comcast.net l.swain at comcast.net
Mon May 9 21:21:25 PDT 2005

On 10 May 2005 at 3:16, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com wrote:

> The hospital in which I practiced had a nursing home attached.  One morning a
> week the chaplain, himself an amateur musician, would assemble
some of the
> patients for a "memories" session which would include music.  One
elderly woman
> was sitting in the wheelchair with eyes closed.  Hadn't spoken or
looked around
> the entire time that I'd observed her.  They sang "Take me out to
the Ballgame."
>  The woman opened her eyes, sang all the words. When it was over,
the slumped
> over and closed her eyes as before.  To my knowledge, she never
spoke again.

> Simple, layman's explanation of this-- some imbedded memories are
in a different
> part of the brain.

I worked a gig with Larry Zuk in the Boston area (he on string
bass, me on piano) last year where we played and sangodest fee) at
a facility for brain-damaged residents, and I was profoundly moved
to see that many of the residents who were there were mouthing the
words (precisely) to many of the old standards we played.

Afterwards, many came up to us to thank us and give each of us an
enthusiastic hug for what we had done.

When can I go back?

Laurence Swain
l.swain at comcast.net