[Dixielandjazz] Nursing Home Gigs and the Impact of Music

Janie McCue Lynch janie51 at socal.rr.com
Sun May 8 10:11:38 PDT 2005

Gus, what a great letter and such a good thought about your performances
often being the highlight of a long term care facility resident's month.
Music has an impact on so many, many of us.

I work via internet and VOIP telephone all day with patients in their homes
throughout the country, and the majority of them are elderly.  Before we can
interact meaningfully about improving their health, we have to establish a
rapport. Often this is difficult with those who are homebound and somewhat
socially isolated.

One gentleman in particular wouldn't respond to me no matter what I
said...until one day I heard  music very faintly in the background and asked
him what it was.  "Oh, you wouldn't be interested....it's old stuff that
you've never heard."  "Try me!" "Well, it's a guy called Scott Joplin, and
it's my favorite called Elite Syncopations. I always think I can see angels
cakewalking in the last part. Man oh, man, do I love that one!"  Since I am
always on a headset, I got up, walked back to my piano, and played it for
him.  He was so thrilled after he recovered from his disbelief. (Even with
my mediocre playing!)

Turns out this gentleman has an extensive knowledge of music, from ragtime
up through the early 70's.  That was my key to opening a positive
relationship with him, and at each call he just can't wait to talk about
Sidney Bechet, or the Red Hot Chili Peppers, or Nick Larocca, or a
particular tune or composer that he loves.  I always carve out the time to
share these few meaningful minutes with him.

I was in New Orleans for the FQF, and picked up a couple copies of a CD by
John Royen called "From Ragtime to Jazz,"  and the tracks loosely follow
that chronological order, and include a brief narration before each track.
I sent a copy to this gentleman, and you would have thought I gave him the
world.

So it is, indeed,  "good for the soul,"  and in this particular case,
hopefully good for his health, too.

My Best,

Jane Lynch
janie51 at socal.rr.com

I've heard that some make careers on the nursing home circuit, but up here
in
northern New England, budgets are tight and most of us perform on a
volunteer
basis.
We are not too interested in travel, but making the rounds locally playing
one hour shows has proven to be far more effective and rewarding than all
the
practice sessions that came before.
Yes, the senior audience is demanding and sometimes quite critical. When I
was just learning to play the ukulele and thought I had a new song down, I
heard
a voice shout
out, "You should stick to the clarinet!" I experienced instant humility and
gained much motivation for more practice. The seniors have provided us with
more than an audience as they always offer constructive criticism and new
ideas.
We get some paying gigs entertaining the senior bus tours that travel up to
Vermont and stay at some of the ski lodges during the off season. Without
the
volunteer work, we never would have developed as good a product.
The rewards of volunteering have been priceless. The residents in the homes
look forward to our shows and for many, it is the highlight of their month.
urge anyone who can play to get involved and if you can make a buck, fine.
If
not go play anyway because its good for both the soul and the chops.

Gus Bloch
The Talegatorz