[Dixielandjazz] Nursing Home Gigs

Talegatorz at aol.com Talegatorz at aol.com
Sun May 8 08:49:15 PDT 2005

I've heard that some make careers on the nursing home circuit, but up here in
northern New England, budgets are tight and most of us perform on a volunteer
basis.
We are not too interested in travel, but making the rounds locally playing
one hour shows has proven to be far more effective and rewarding than all the
practice sessions that came before.
Yes, the senior audience is demanding and sometimes quite critical. When I
was just learning to play the ukulele and thought I had a new song down, I heard
a voice shout
out, "You should stick to the clarinet!" I experienced instant humility and
gained much motivation for more practice. The seniors have provided us with
more than an audience as they always offer constructive criticism and new ideas.
We get some paying gigs entertaining the senior bus tours that travel up to
Vermont and stay at some of the ski lodges during the off season. Without the
volunteer work, we never would have developed as good a product.
The rewards of volunteering have been priceless. The residents in the homes
look forward to our shows and for many, it is the highlight of their month. I
urge anyone who can play to get involved and if you can make a buck, fine. If
not go play anyway because its good for both the soul and the chops.

Gus Bloch
The Talegatorz