[Dixielandjazz] Playing For Pay

PATRICK LADD pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Sat May 7 07:26:47 PDT 2005

 Hi all,

<<I have a personal belief about motivation. E.G. That money
> does not act as a motivator. Paying someone more money does not motivate
> him to do better.>>

Whoever wrote that should have a go at the tipping system in the US or look
up manhattan waitress.blogspot or bitterwaitress.com which contains the `The
Shitty Tipper Database` These reveal that `a shitty tip is anything under17%
and that the average in New York is 18.6%.

I have just finished a month in the US where I have no doubt spread alarm
and despondency by tipping around 12.5%. In the UK 10% is normal and then
only for restaurants,taxi drivers and for some odd reason, hairdressers. The
reason for the increase is that `prices have gone up` In my simple country
boy way I thought that percentages worked that sort of thing out
automatically.

One waitress explained that she got no wages at all and depended entirely on
tips.
The explanation came after I queried a footnote on the menu which said 16%
surcharge would be added to the bill `for your convenience` if the group
eating was larger than 6,  or 18% in the case of foreign nationals. As I was
a `foreign national` this interested me. The waitress said this was put in
because `foreigners don`t understand tipping`. Eeegad!
When I suggested she needed a good union............

 I thought slavery was dead in the land of the free. Hah!

Cheers

Pat  ( Shitty Tipper and foreigner)

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.