[Dixielandjazz] Playing For Pay

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri May 6 23:31:05 PDT 2005

LARRY'S Walton at sign.guy at charter.net wrote: (about a snip from my post)

Larry then said:
> This was the very reason that they used for not giving us a raise on our
> salary schedule when I was teaching.  When you tell someone this you are
> telling him you really don't value him much and that he is satisfied with
> your rotten motivation and probably mediocre job that he is doing.  While
> not motivating it can have a negative effect.  I do realize in the arts it
> is somewhat different

Yes, those who would use that as an "excuse" are stupid and very poor
managers. They disregarded the line I wrote following the above snip, which
read:

"It is however, very important to most people, including artists. It is a
way of "keeping score" It is tangible recognition."

If a manager, band leader, etc., uses that sort of lame excuse that you
mentioned, for not paying more (whatever you deserve) then he is
de-motivating you and certainly not "keeping the peace". The lack of paying
adequate money for any job that one does, is a de-motivator, and as you
said, usually has a negative effect.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone