[Dixielandjazz] Musicians faking in movies

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Thu May 5 21:20:21 PDT 2005

I have a copy and enjoy the movie a bunch.

A few years ago I was in a made for TV mini series.  It was about a family
over a period of years.  There was a 20's speakeasy scene and I went to the
casting office to sign up for the scene.  Turns out that they had enough
guys for the scene so they asked me if I could play violin.  I told them I
could hold one pretty well.  I was hired.  We were supposed to make union
rates for this by the way, NOT!  I came on the set and they dressed us in
tails and we were going to be the string quartet for the wedding scene.
Being a bit rotund I didn't fit the costume very well and we proceeded to
wait for hours before the call came.  When we got there the director wanted
the group to fake the wedding march.  I never saw three guys panic like that
before.  I had detuned my strings so no one would really hear me.  The
wedding march was such a disaster but I knew that they would just dub in the
sound.  When the movie came out I taped it so I could enjoy my performance
on the little screen for years to come.  Turns out the only thing that got
into the movie was my elbow.

The things we do for money!
Larry Walton