[Dixielandjazz] Musicians faking in movies

Dick Miller Dick_Miller at pmug.org
Wed May 4 14:00:28 PDT 2005

dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com writes:
>   It may come as a surprise to some that even musicians fake playing in
>movies, especially when they are part of the background in a party or
>club
>scene.

Case in point: "The Gig," subject of a recent thread on this list. I went
off to Amazon.com and got me a copy, then watched it the other night. I
was a bit surprised to see Allen Vache', who was both the cornet player in
the movie and the music director of the film, when his fingerings didn't
match the notes. Then I thought about it a while. They often do a number
of takes of a scene, and could well have used cuts from different takes to
make up the total scene  as it wound up in the movie, accounting for the
differences.

--Dick Miller